TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I called Toyota USA. A tech rep. told me that the 5w30 rec. in the manual was for a mass area and told me ask my local dealer what weight oil to run. I called 5 dealers in 50 miles and 4 out of 5 told me tor use 5w30. The one that said to use 10w30 said Toyota told them to use the weight in this area. whos lying?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Here's a quote for you that I found elsewhere.

Question:
"What do you think about Toyota dealers using 10W30 when the manual says 5W30? I assumed that the dealership would use the right oil, but when I look at my receipts, they all say 10W30. Even the oil cap has 5W30 written on it. I will ask next time I go in, but do you think it would be harmful?"

Answer:
"Probably not harmful. Remember when you look at 5W30 vs 10W30 the xW number indicates how the oil performs in cold weather. So a 5W will flow a bit better on those cold winter mornings compared to a 10W. The 30 is the viscosity at 100 degrees C, or basically operating temperature. The upside of a 10W30 vs a 5W30 is you get more "slippery stuff" and fewer Viscosity Index improvers. The 10W30 can start with a base oil that is closer to the 30 weight at 100 degrees C, so fewer "non-oil" chemicals have to be added. So I personally wouldn't lose sleep over a 5W30 vs 10W30, as long as they are API SJ or SL rated oils that came out of new bottles or a clean bulk tank or drum. I would be more worried if you/they put in 10W40 or a 20W50 oil."

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gadget, The dealer does NOT touch my truck. I was at the dealer buying a YZZD1 denso oil filter. In the parts room they had a sign that said "our bulk oil tank is filled with Mobil 10W30." I change my own oil, which oil filter do you use gadget?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts