TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Landcruiser and was thinking of 85ish model. Is my thinking corrct that it straight axel? Are there other years that are? I would want to lift and run 33'. Any info appreciated as I am a Tacoma and older runner guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LC's were solid axle all the way up till 97. The 100 series (98+) are IFS.

Front and rear lockers were available on some years of the 80 series LC's up till 97. A Rear locker was available on the 100 series up till 2000.

Goto www.IH8mud.com

You have 4runner/truck confused with LC's on the solid axle years.

·
Registered
598 Posts
creamike5 said:
I'm thinking of buying a Landcruiser and was thinking of 85ish model. Is my thinking corrct that it straight axel? Are there other years that are? I would want to lift and run 33'. Any info appreciated as I am a Tacoma and older runner guy.
85 would be an FJ60 wagon. 4.2 I6 with carb. I think they were offered with manual or automatic. They are neat rigs and can run 33's with a mild suspension lift. Lockers and 33's and it should be very capable rig...

88-90 is the FJ62 and has 4.0 I6 with fuel injection... all American cruisers after 88 have automatic transmissions.

The 60 series wagons are cool and have leaf springs and solid axles. No factory lockers were offered.

91-92 is the FJ80 and carries over the 4.0 motor, which is kind of a dog in this larger wagon...

93-97 is the FZJ80 with the 4.5 I6. The 96-97 Lexus 450 is the same as the Landcruiser also. They have slight differences in trim, etc.

The 80 series wagons are coil springs and solid axles. Factory e-lockers are optional on these rigs.

I recomend the Ih8mud.com forum as well for more detailed research. They have an extensive FAQ's section for the 60 and 80 series.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had a choice of the year to buy what would be you choice? I'm not much into the rock scene just like to lift maybe 35's tops.

·
Registered
39 Posts
creamike5 said:
If you had a choice of the year to buy what would be you choice? I'm not much into the rock scene just like to lift maybe 35's tops.
1997 FZJ80/LX450. The last year of the 80 Series.

·
Registered
598 Posts
creamike5 said:
Like he said, the 97 FZJ80 or LX450 would be top on my list if it was for a daily driver. You can still find them with less than 70,000 miles on them.

If I was getting one for a trail rig, I'd look around on e-bay for an 88-90 FJ62. I've seen them for between 3-7 thousand.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why the 88-90 FJ62, anything particular about this model? How hard is it to lift with 33" or 35"?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Since you haven't stated a price range I pointed to the most affordable "modern" cruiser. The 62 has the 4.0 fuel injected motor, a reliable automatic, etc. Still plenty of good ones running around with little rust, etc.

33's are easy but I'm not sure about 35's. Hit the Ih8mud forum dealing specifically with 60 series LC's and I'm sure a search will turn up your answers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts