TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From "WTF is this?" to manual t-case conversion questions.....

First off, HUGE thank you to ShowStop. I wouldn't be able to ask this question with out his help.

Little back ground: '99 4Runner Limited; converted to 4wd; J-shift with push button; manual hub conversion; 1808** on the clock now, trans has over 200k. The donor vehicle was wrecked in the front, but still ran fine, and nothing was leaking when I cranked her up. When the rig was 2wd, it didn't sound like this:

http://www.showstop.org/images/misc/doc2012memo.mp3

What the fuck is that? I know it's not the front diff, because of the manual hub conversion, and because I'm still waiting on my clocking ring before I can hook the 4WD back up. Could it be the t-case actuator being stuck, keeping the t-case engaged? Or is it something in the transmission? When I put her in gear, she jumps a little bit, and the whine starts, but when in park, nothing.... Could I have the wrong torque converter in there? (Used the 4wd one....) Anyone that could help, it will be greatly appreciated.

FWIT, the recording was from right ontop of the console, next to the main shifter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember if it was or not the last time I was under there. I'll get under there tomorrow and see what happens. I have a manual t-case, I just don't want to put it in until I get my clocking ring from Bud. No sense in making double work...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the front shaft isn't on the truck(custom cross member, need Bud's clocking ring to make it 4wd again), but the output on the transfer for the front shaft DOES spin. I've also noticed a hell of a lot of heat, as in if I put a drink right out of the fridge from a gas station, its warm in about 10 minutes, hot to the point you can't drink it in about 15.

I've got the other case in the back of the truck, but like I said before, I'd rather not make double work for myself. Is there anything I can do to make this stop? Or is the best bet to swap the case out?

Also, I'm guessing the fill hole for the oil is ontop behind the shifter, correct? 75-90, same as the diff's right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so the ADD transfer case is out. Next question, There are 3 pig tails coming from the ADD case, two on the driver side, one on the passenger side. On the Manual case, there are only two holes for pig tails, one on the driver, one on the passenger. Anyone know what these are for? Do I need to put both into the manual case?

Also, How much oil do i put in this, and from where? I'm guessing the top plug on the back?

Heres the Pics of what I was talking about with the case:

Manual:

By doc11 at 2012-06-23

ADD:

By doc11 at 2012-06-23

·
Registered
962 Posts
sounded like a dry chain to me. As far as how much oil to put into the transfer case, you just put it in until it runs out of the fill hole. I think that is right but it may not be with it clocked.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, got as far as I did, but then the drive shaft started to separating. Just want to make sure that, as long as I do nothing crazy, i'll have enough room to be safe with. Don't plan on doing any wheeling, just driving alot of highway in the next couple weeks. heres some pics of the shaft:

By doc11 at 2012-06-23

By doc11 at 2012-06-23

There is still about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" in there, so do you think it'll be safe?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, it IS NOT the transfer case. Put the manual case in there, and it still whines. Any Ideas????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, Thank you ShowStop. I'll hopefully get these fixec in the next week or so. Damn Marine pogs and thier field ops......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts