TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Looking at a possible way to stiffen up the Taco frame. Anybody throw the diagonal frame brace from the x-runner on a 4x4 taco? You know the ones that run diagonally from the frame rails to the Trans cross member. I have been less than impressed with the amount my frame shimmies and access cab doors rattle on broken pavement, not to mention off road. Anybody done this?

Tony

·
Registered
212 Posts
TurdTaco said:
Hey Guys,

Looking at a possible way to stiffen up the Taco frame. Anybody throw the diagonal frame brace from the x-runner on a 4x4 taco? You know the ones that run diagonally from the frame rails to the Trans cross member. I have been less than impressed with the amount my frame shimmies and access cab doors rattle on broken pavement, not to mention off road. Anybody done this?

Tony
that sounds like a great idea if they are bolt on

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After crawling around abit under the truck I noticed that there are nuts welded to the inside of the frame rail to bolt the front of the brace onto. The only down side is after looking at the crossmember on the x-runner it seams as though it is different from the 4x4 crossmember. Yes I do beleive it it a straight up bolt on for the 4x2 but not for the 4x4, which is a shame.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I've never looked under an X-runner, but I have crawled around under my 4runner.

I've noticed that it has bracing on the transmission bracket that is not on my Tacoma, too.

Because the 4runner is available with 4WD, those braces might be more likely to fit on the Tacoma.

Having said that...

Rattling access cab doors? Frame shimmies? Not mine!

What are you doing in that truck?

·
Registered
132 Posts
i would think a stiff frame would be great on road, and after owning a few daily driven circuit cars i know this is true... but i would think you would want some flex off the road. seems if you have a stiffened frame off road, youll wind up causing issues but not allowing components to flex.. i could be wrong tho..

and a stiff frame causes more rattles too in my experience. in stiffening the frame up on my is300 more things creak and rattle since the chasiss bars ive added all limit normal flex that would absorb certain noises and creaks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
teamblend said:
but i would think you would want some flex off the road. seems if you have a stiffened frame off road, youll wind up causing issues but not allowing components to flex.. i could be wrong tho..
I'd say its better to keep the flex in the suspension.

The frame of a vehicle is what everything else is built on. Its very purpose is to be rigid. Remember, strengthening and stiffening aren't necessarily the same thing. An overly stiff frame could cause stress concentrations that could weaken it (and cause excess vibration like you mentioned). So stiff doesn't always mean strong.

I trust Toyota engineers to make a strong frame. I don't trust Chrysler engineers, I've seen the way my friends 2500 Ram twists. The Tacoma frame is clearly designed to handle these x-braces without undue stress. If they'll fit, throw 'em on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Frank, you think you could snap a few pics of those braces? Or even just stick your head under and see of the attachment point are similar on the taco and the 4 runner?

Yes, from an engineering point of view, it is better to keep the flex in the suspension. A little off topic but have you ever seen a suv frame flex? Usually busts out the rear glass. Since our cab and bed can move independent our trucks don't have to worry but still, I have never been a fan of this.

Oh, and the frame shimmy and door rattle. That’s all on road, with my wife driving. A large section of broken pavement has the doors flapping like sorority girls. Take a look in your guys' rear view or side mirror over some rough rail road tracks. The bed looks like its dancing the jig. All that said, I am sure it poses no long term issues, other than some annoying noise, but I would like to see if there is an easy way to reduce it. Take care

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts