TTORA Forum banner

XM or Sirius?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer? I currently have both, although I find myself listening to Sirius 95% of the time. I think XM has nicer hardware when it comes to the portable stuff.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mike said:
Which do you prefer? I currently have both, although I find myself listening to Sirius 95% of the time. I think XM has nicer hardware when it comes to the portable stuff.

Later,
....Mike
I bought the Sirius radio for my girlfriend as a Christmas gift. She's a devout Stern fan and I figured she would buy one sooner or later. I found out with Direct TV we have some of the Sirius radio channels already in our programming guide. According to them Howard will be available on direct TV so we returned the receiver I bought.

I voted why pay for radio? I don't even pay for music.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
akshunj said:
I voted why pay for radio? I don't even pay for music.
I've never really had the patience for burning cd's, downloading music, etc. I like satellite radio because there are no commercials, the content is better, and there are hundreds of channels. Great for road trips too, you can listen to the same station for the entire trip if you like.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
I remember you mentioning when I'd asked your something about satt radio a while ago that your deck isn't compatable with both xm and sirius hardware.

Do you have to run one of those stations through FM modulation or do you have some funky way of running lines for both into your deck? We can get both here in Calgary, xm is "grey market", while sirius is sold here in stores. My deck is xm ready, but I'm reserving my decision to sound quality (prefer not to modulate if I don't have to) and availability.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mike said:
I've never really had the patience for burning cd's, downloading music, etc. I like satellite radio because there are no commercials, the content is better, and there are hundreds of channels. Great for road trips too, you can listen to the same station for the entire trip if you like.

Later,
....Mike
I agree, the satellite radio is nice. I have that playing over the speakers in the house from direct tv now rather than the old net streaming radio.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mudferret said:
I remember you mentioning when I'd asked your something about satt radio a while ago that your deck isn't compatable with both xm and sirius hardware.

Do you have to run one of those stations through FM modulation or do you have some funky way of running lines for both into your deck? We can get both here in Calgary, xm is "grey market", while sirius is sold here in stores. My deck is xm ready, but I'm reserving my decision to sound quality (prefer not to modulate if I don't have to) and availability.
The deck in my truck is XM compatible and connected to it's own XM receiver.

My Siruis unit is portable, so I can use it anywhere. It does use an FM modulator, but it has a line out also that can connect directly to other stuff if you want.

You can get XM portable units that work the same way.

XM has two stationary satellites, one over the west coast and one over the east. Sirius has three that do a figure eight over the northern central part of the US. Seems that Sirius would work much better than XM in Canada.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks Mike, just wanted to know if I was stuck with fm modulation if I went with Sirius on my XM ready deck. We actually get very good XM signal up here, but it's a hassle to get a subscription.

So by the sounds of it I can input Sirius as long as I have the receiver?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mudferret said:
Thanks Mike, just wanted to know if I was stuck with fm modulation if I went with Sirius on my XM ready deck. We actually get very good XM signal up here, but it's a hassle to get a subscription.

So by the sounds of it I can input Sirius as long as I have the receiver?
As long as you get a unit with a line out, you can plug that into any existing stuff. This is the JVC model I have.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eM3jmrwebSJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=177950&I=257KSK6012&search=jvc+satellite

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mike said:
The deck in my truck is XM compatible and connected to it's own XM receiver.

My Siruis unit is portable, so I can use it anywhere. It does use an FM modulator, but it has a line out also that can connect directly to other stuff if you want.

You can get XM portable units that work the same way.

XM has two stationary satellites, one over the west coast and one over the east. Sirius has three that do a figure eight over the northern central part of the US. Seems that Sirius would work much better than XM in Canada.

Later,
....Mike
Mike,

Where did you mount your xm reciever. I want to get this for my new deck but mounting may be an issue...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cIiYzE3p785/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?wm=fa&I=607SIRALP1

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mike said:
My XM receiver is in the little cubby hole in the rear, driver's side xtra cab.

Later,
....Mike
Thanks for the tip.... I know its a different sat. radio but they are about the same size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts