TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever attempted to install a real seat or two in the xtra cab portion of a tacoma? I was thinking maybe putting them sideways or angled or something because I do have 2 people with me more often then i have only 1. I don't know if there is enough space, or what kind of limitations there would be as far as installing a seatbelt for an angled or sideways seat. Has anyone done anything like this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
havent heard of anyone doing that in a tacoma but i do know that the seats in the back of my friends extended cab ranger fold down from the side so the passengers face eachother

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Once my cage is done I plan on swapping out the two jump seats with one slim harness capable bench seat in the back. The way I see it, it will make a few improvements to the rear set. First it will draw the passengers closer to the center of the cab and away from the overhead tubing that will be running right over their heads witht he jump seats. Second, being closer to the center will improve rear passenger visibility out the front. Third I believe it will improve leg room as rear passengers will be able to swing their legs out to the outside of the cab rather than having to leave them straight or swing them tothe center intothe center console.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm also interested in installing a better set of seats in the rear, something that my 12 and 9 year old can tolerate for a 500-1000 mile trip.

I'd like to get a DC but I can't find what I'm looking for (02-03, low miles, long bed, manual transmission).

I'm thinking some kind of custom, low-profile bucket seat. I don't think I'll be able to change the upright cushions.

Maybe I'm hoping against hope but I keep thinking it's possible.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I'd like to get a DC but I can't find what I'm looking for (02-03, low miles, long bed, manual transmission).
Probably because it was never produced. Only auto short bed DC 01-04.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I like the rear shitty jump seats...
Mostly because... the few passengers that have sat back there... didn't...

And that means... they don't ask all that often ;)

No ass, no cash, no grass, no ride... :p

If I just had to have someone back there...
I'd trade it in for a D cab or a 4runner :2cents:

·
Registered
984 Posts
If by 'real seats' you mean something like an OEM front seat (e.g., another bucket seat), it can't be easily done.

Like the Double Cab, the XtraCab has a substantial 'plateau' in the flooring underneath your rear 'bench'. If you pop off the lids to the storage compartments, you'll see how extensive / wide that 'plateau' really is.

Without re-doing the floor itself, you won't have enough space to accommodate the base / mount for a 'real' seat back there.

Another problem is that you don't really have enough space (front-to-back) to accommodate a 'real' bottom seat cushion.

IMHO the option allowing the most rear passenger comfort would be a narrow flip-down seat back / seat cushion arrangement that'd allow the passenger to extend his / her legs across the center 'hump'. This would, of course, require sacrificing your rear storage compartments (and figuring out how to recarpet the irregular rear floor, etc.).

I'd suggest checking out an older Nissan Frontier extended cab truck to see how they handled seat belts for the side-facing flip-down jump seats ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts