TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tacoma #1 - '97 regular cab Tacoma 2.7, 4wd, 5 speed w/ Fabtech coilover 3" lift and 31x10.5x15, had 55,000

Tacoma #2 (current) - '97 extra cab Tacoma 2.7, 4wd, 5 speed, stock suspension (for 1 more week), 122,000 miles

Here is the question: are the extra cab Tacoma's prone to being less stable/more rollover prone than regular cab Tacomas because of the longer wheelbase?

My first Tacoma felt much more stable than my current Tacoma when in off camber situations, even when my first Tacoma had the mushy stock suspension. Another thing this could be attributed to is the crappy bucket seats in Tacoma #2, which offer literally no lateral support in off camber situations and probably amplify the feeling of unstability (they are very worn). Tacoma #1 had a bench seat that was in great condition.

Also, the extra cab Tacoma gets much worse traction at the rear wheels than the regular cab Tacoma did, they both have/had open diffs with 3.42 and 3.58 gears respectively. I guess the worse traction can be attributed to the longer wheelbase, which effectively puts more of the truck's weight on the front axle because of the added length and the very light rear of both trucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must say that I agree with the traction being lost in the rear end. I have a 01 taco TRD. It is hard to get traction when I need it, I dont know if that is the same for every one else.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have to agree with the statement above. My sister owns a 02 regular cab and i own a 00 ex cab, and I will agree with the traction being lost in the back. As to rolling over, I really can't help you there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
so would i benefit from maybe 4.10 gears?...or what would you reccamend...cuz i wanna doa powertrax no slip in the rear.and rear gear at the same time..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts