TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lookin to put rack system on my 05 dc. i did yakimas automated fit config. and it said i needed 58" bars and a 44" fairing. has anyone tried this setup? do those sizes sound right? thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
im gonna throw my rack on tomorrow, i think thats the largest fairing they make.. not sure tho.. anyhow keep in mind the bars will stick out from the sides of the cab a lil, so thats why they are so much longer.. but the fairing only needs to be in the middle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats what I have on mine and it works fine. I carry my kayaks and canoes up there. Just a word of warning. Your paint WILL come off under the pads of the towers after a good season of use.

Invest in some touch-up paint. The paint on these trucks is the most crap-tastic I have ever seen on a production vehicle. It rivals that of GM.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Owsley said:
Thats what I have on mine and it works fine. I carry my kayaks and canoes up there. Just a word of warning. Your paint WILL come off under the pads of the towers after a good season of use.

Invest in some touch-up paint. The paint on these trucks is the most crap-tastic I have ever seen on a production vehicle. It rivals that of GM.

ah crap thats not what i want to hear! maybe the factory rack is starting to sound better....

·
Registered
66 Posts
teamblend said:
ah crap thats not what i want to hear! maybe the factory rack is starting to sound better....
I wouldn't want to put any kind of load on the factory rack. I carry and 80# canoe and 2x25# kayaks up there.

I only have one bar up front and then the Thule Xsporter in the back to enevly distribute the weight. The Thule is one solid muther.

·
Registered
636 Posts
teamblend said:
It's not a roof rack, but have some Toyota cross bars I would like to get rid of.

Let me know if you're interested.
AC

·
Registered
397 Posts
anthonycoley said:
It's not a roof rack, but have some Toyota cross bars I would like to get rid of.

Let me know if you're interested.
AC

the one's for the bed?

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
how much to goodyear az 85338

·
Registered
636 Posts
J.T.054x4Taco said:
how much to goodyear az 85338
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, so I PM'ed ya.

AC

·
Registered
132 Posts
Owsley said:
I wouldn't want to put any kind of load on the factory rack. I carry and 80# canoe and 2x25# kayaks up there.

I only have one bar up front and then the Thule Xsporter in the back to enevly distribute the weight. The Thule is one solid muther.

would just be for snowboards. nothing extreme. have one for bikes on my IS300 and no paint issues.. had it on a 97 accord.. no issues.. and again on my 02 4runner.

guess the paint just sucks on these :(

·
Registered
499 Posts
the yakima racks will not remove paint under the tower pads as long you clean the area under the pads before you install them. I have installed 100's of yakima tower systems and never once have I seen that. I have also been using both yakima and thule systems for 15 years and never had that problem.

Thule thule xporter could possibly be affected by the bed extender. If you plan to run it in the low position you will most likely have to remove the bed extender. The upright towers are fairly large on that unit and they drop all the way to the floor of the bed.if you need to know how far intot he bed that system goes I can tell you since I'm running that unit on my taco right now!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/nullifierx/baja/loadedandready3.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
tacomadetexas said:
lookin to put rack system on my 05 dc. i did yakimas automated fit config. and it said i needed 58" bars and a 44" fairing. has anyone tried this setup? do those sizes sound right? thanks
Yes those are the right sizes, the fairing is a bit shorter.

Some pics here:
http://www.taxbrn.com/josh/taco/#roofrack

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
tacomadetexas said:
those sound about right, I just mounted a thule system on my truck, it has been on 2 other trucks.(just changed out the foot kit) The 58" bars were just right. They did not stick out too far to where they would be an eye hazard.
You might wanna check out ebay, you might save a few bucks over a brand new system...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nullifier said:
the yakima racks will not remove paint under the tower pads as long you clean the area under the pads before you install them. I have installed 100's of yakima tower systems and never once have I seen that. I have also been using both yakima and thule systems for 15 years and never had that problem.

Thule thule xporter could possibly be affected by the bed extender. If you plan to run it in the low position you will most likely have to remove the bed extender. The upright towers are fairly large on that unit and they drop all the way to the floor of the bed.if you need to know how far intot he bed that system goes I can tell you since I'm running that unit on my taco right now!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/nullifierx/baja/loadedandready3.jpg
Oh yeah, I cleaned the piss out of the spots where the pads went. I even clay bared the spots. I will post some pics after the blizzard of where the paint rubbed off.

A word of warning with the Xsporter and the +05 Tacos. The rack will not go down as advertised if our truck is a SB. The poles will hit the rear wheel wells and they won't lock in the lowered position.

Here is my set up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Owsley -

I have a 2005 taco double cab short bed like yours, and I just installed the same thule xsporter you have. I'm impressed with it so far, but I do have one question for you: on the bottom of the big brackets that rest on the top lip of the bed liner, there's a thin rubber pad that has a slight curl running along the outside edge - presumably it's there to curl slighly over the outside edge of the bed lip to provide a close seal, but on the taco, the lip itself is so wide that it just gets crushed up and under the bracket.

Thus, the brackets aren't perfectly flush against the top of the bed lip.

Of course, I noticed this after spending an hour getting everything mounted and squared up. The setup is pretty sturdy as is (tested by pushing and pulling the bars as hard as I can with no visible effect) but I'm wondering if I should disassemble the rack, trim away that small rubber lip, and remount the footings.

What did you do? Thoughts? Thx.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brooklyn Robbie said:
Hey Owsley -

I have a 2005 taco double cab short bed like yours, and I just installed the same thule xsporter you have. I'm impressed with it so far, but I do have one question for you: on the bottom of the big brackets that rest on the top lip of the bed liner, there's a thin rubber pad that has a slight curl running along the outside edge - presumably it's there to curl slighly over the outside edge of the bed lip to provide a close seal, but on the taco, the lip itself is so wide that it just gets crushed up and under the bracket.

Thus, the brackets aren't perfectly flush against the top of the bed lip.

Of course, I noticed this after spending an hour getting everything mounted and squared up. The setup is pretty sturdy as is (tested by pushing and pulling the bars as hard as I can with no visible effect) but I'm wondering if I should disassemble the rack, trim away that small rubber lip, and remount the footings.

What did you do? Thoughts? Thx.
Those rubber pads will get thrashed after some good use. I also noticed it will not fit on the bed rails flush. Don't worry about it.

I just left them alone. If you crank that thing down, it will actually bend the plastic bed rails a bit. They will come back after a good day in the hot sun, though :D

after you use it a few times, go back and periodically check the bolts on the brackets that hold the rack to the rails. Mine came loose a few times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts