TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Brand new here. Used to own an 02 Tacoma 4cyl. ext. cab 4x4. That was back in 02-03. I am in the market for a used Tacoma but have a budget constraint of 10k.

What I'm seeing on autotrader are alot of 99-00 Tacos with a V6 (which I want) 4x4 ext. cab etc. basically what I used to have minus a few years plus one V6.

I need this thing to be reliable but with 99-00s coming in at the 120,000 mile mark or slightly above do I need to be worried or is it just getting broken in by that time. KBB said an 00 should have about 78,000 miles on it but all i'm finding are higher mileage ones. I'm not a mechanic but I figured alot of you guys know your stuff when it comes to this.

If I were to buy one of these 99-00 models with 120,000 + miles on it, how much life can I expect out of it. I should say I don't plan on doing any heavy 4x4ing like some of you. I am however planning on moving soon to where there is snow, so the 4x4 is a must.

Thanks for reading.
wyogrunt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly I am more concerned with the rest of the vehicle when it comes to this. If the seat is beat, like the seats real worn(just driver) most likely a commuter of some sort. I look to see how the rest of it was maintained...if it looks clean most likely the owner took time to keep it up. Ask if the timing belt has been changed ask for receipts. I have seen these go over 200k with original timing belt but its recomended to be changed at 90k. If its been changed, again likely they have kept it well maintained.

I personally feel that the 3.4 in time will garner much the rep that the 22r has in reliability, although with some its already there. I would worry more about leaky rear bearings and wear items before the engine. I have to replace my power steering pump and had to replace a rear bearing but other than that been great( mine just turned 68k last week) I dont think my parts were lemons just not the A typical reliability I am used to. But again these are wear parts.My .02 hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like Chainlink said, the 3.4 hasnt been out long enough for it to really build a reputation, but the general consensus is that it is a very reliable engine. I've seen plenty in the over 200k range already and still going strong. I'd say you will be sick of the truck long before the engine fails on ya ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
i have a 00 and i have about 120,000 miles on it and it still runs pretty strong. if you lift it you will have parts that wear out on you faster though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 99 4x4 with 309,000 and the only thing I have replaced is the starter and a idler pulley,it is the 3.4.It also still has the original timing belt in it

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm gaining on 160k. I bought it with 108k and I had no worries. It's been mine for nearly four years now. The only problems I've had have been self inflicted. By that I mean I played a little too hard in the water and mud (the day I bought it I got it buried up to the door panels in a mud hole). Since then I have my locker fail ( actuator filled w/ water and corroded), and I've replaced 3 seals. The rear main seal (between tranny and engine) and the 2 front axle seals. They all failed because they had mud residue on them. Other than that, the truck has run like a champ.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 3.4 has been around for quite a while, you have to remember they were in the T100 before there was any such thing as a Tacoma. They have been out since the early 90's, I would say that is long enough to be considered a proven design.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
glassjeg6 said:
I have a 99 4x4 with 309,000 and the only thing I have replaced is the starter and a idler pulley,it is the 3.4.It also still has the original timing belt in it
WOW original timing belt.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
pat161 said:
The 3.4 has been around for quite a while, you have to remember they were in the T100 before there was any such thing as a Tacoma. They have been out since the early 90's, I would say that is long enough to be considered a proven design.
The T100 had the 3.0L.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ARB1977 said:
The T100 had the 3.0L.
For a short time like 1 or 2 model years than went to the 3.4

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bought my 2000 taco w/127k on it in october of last year. I got it from the second owner and he drove mostly highway. Within the first month I replaced the t-belt/waterpump/belts/tensioner/idlers/plugs/t-stat(all OEM) Bilstein HD's(stock trd bilsteins were shot) front powerslot rotors and hawk pads. Point is w/more miles it may cost you some money to freshin it up. But I have no regrets, I plan to drive it for 10 more years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My '02 (November of 2002) has 175k on it. I spent last weekend finally replacing the timing belt and quite honestly, I don't think it would have been a problem had I left it in there a bit longer. Short of the starter (due to fording a river and mud) and the power steering pump (again, jiffy lube idiots forgot to put the cap back on it and it filled it full of mud in Big bear) I haven't had any issues with it. I plan on driving it at least a few more years before any major service is needed. I tend to be kinda lax on maintenance if that is any help...Well, guess I can't sell my taco on here now... hehehe

Best bet is to have a stealership take a look and give you an estimate. might cost you $100, but it is better than finding out later that you have major repairs to do to it. But if you're buying something used with that many miles, just assume some of the normal wear and tear items are going to need to be serviced/replaced.

·
Registered
823 Posts
glad I stumbled onto this thread

I've been looking at a 00 4Runner with 142k on it.. and was worried about mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts