TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's for my regular cab, 5-spd, 96 4x4. it's brand new and i got it for $75 :D

anyways, any tips/things i should know for the install?

especially in re: to the rear bumper and closing the gap. i was thinking of reversing the brackets and then drilling new holes???? any other options?
 

·
norcal n00b
Joined
·
802 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
it's for my regular cab, 5-spd, 96 4x4. it's brand new and i got it for $75 :D

anyways, any tips/things i should know for the install?

especially in re: to the rear bumper and closing the gap. i was thinking of reversing the brackets and then drilling new holes???? any other options?
Doing a 2" you are going to have to get a steering column extension, extend your gas filler hose, and probably tighten the a/t linkage (if you have an automatic.) These are the problems I encountered with a 1" BL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
getting the rear bumper to line up with a 2" bl is tricky, i said f it and bought a custom bumper from aj at bentup.

watch the following when lifting:
remove fuel filler cap
watch ac lines and batery lines in engine bay
remove or lower bottom radiator fan shrowd
lengthen steering rod with spacer (should be included with a "full kit")
youll probly need to "modify" the metal bracket that holds the boot of the shifter, i had to cut some of mine away to get it to shift into 2nd and 4th
make sure you tighten everything to spec and be careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I would love to hear how it works out for you... I plan on doing a 3" PA BL after the 1st of the year. I'm going to add this thread to my "favorite" so I can use iall the info later. Let us know!

J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
it's for my regular cab, 5-spd, 96 4x4. it's brand new and i got it for $75 :D

anyways, any tips/things i should know for the install?

especially in re: to the rear bumper and closing the gap. i was thinking of reversing the brackets and then drilling new holes???? any other options?
I'm in process of a 2" Rodger Brown body lift and my 96 had a ground wire that was on the firewall in the middle and was attached to the block, it snapped when we were lifting the cab and was a pain to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
yeah i'm in the process of getting the 2" RB lift...i think BL are ok if you don't do anything crazy like i do...all i do is go to trails if i off-road...not like crazy jumps or rock crawling..but i would like too one day... :D
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
it's for my regular cab, 5-spd, 96 4x4. it's brand new and i got it for $75 :D

anyways, any tips/things i should know for the install?

especially in re: to the rear bumper and closing the gap. i was thinking of reversing the brackets and then drilling new holes???? any other options?
what brand for that price? seems kinda cheap.

and I gotta agree with jomomma on this one, body lifts are evil...sometimes a necessary evil but evil none the less. just be aware of the drawbacks ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
yeah...can't argue with that....it's just a cheap way to stuff some tires...hopefully someday i can just get a 5" TM lift and some coilovers and i will be happy.. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
ElBandito said:
getting the rear bumper to line up with a 2" bl is tricky, i said f it and bought a custom bumper from aj at bentup.

watch the following when lifting:
remove fuel filler cap
watch ac lines and batery lines in engine bay
remove or lower bottom radiator fan shrowd
lengthen steering rod with spacer (should be included with a "full kit")
youll probly need to "modify" the metal bracket that holds the boot of the shifter, i had to cut some of mine away to get it to shift into 2nd and 4th
make sure you tighten everything to spec and be careful.
Is it that hard to get the rear bumper to line up? i mean i don't ahve the money for a custom rear bumper...so what can i do to line the rear bumper?
i guess i will have to call Roger..
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
04RedLobster said:
yeah...can't argue with that....it's just a cheap way to stuff some tires...hopefully someday i can just get a 5" TM lift and some coilovers and i will be happy.. :D
yup, sometimes you just have to do what you can, now, and save up for what you really want, later ;)
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
04RedLobster said:
Is it that hard to get the rear bumper to line up? i mean i don't ahve the money for a custom rear bumper...so what can i do to line the rear bumper?
i guess i will have to call Roger..
RB should have brackets or can make them for you.
too bad you aren't in norcal ;)
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
04RedLobster said:
that's what i'm saying...i should move there....hehe...
yea, we all have welders and plasma torches out here, Arr!, Arr!, Arr! make brackets in no time, weee! :welder:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I would love to hear how it works out for you... I plan on doing a 3" PA BL after the 1st of the year. I'm going to add this thread to my "favorite" so I can use iall the info later. Let us know!

J
It will suck beyond belief, using the step by step directions, it took me and my buddy almost 9 hours to get it done. Mine is a '98 and I had some nasty stcuk bolts, bu tbe prepared!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
Boheefus said:
It will suck beyond belief, using the step by step directions, it took me and my buddy almost 9 hours to get it done. Mine is a '98 and I had some nasty stcuk bolts, bu tbe prepared!
only 9hrs for a 3" kit? not bad ;) I've seen it take all day and then some, LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
hytenor said:
only 9hrs for a 3" kit? not bad ;) I've seen it take all day and then some, LOL
my buddy is a genius, he does that stuff fer a living. most of the time was spent trying to figure out whrer the hell I left my wrench:) Definately a 2 man job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it is Performance Accessories brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
hytenor said:
only 9hrs for a 3" kit? not bad ;) I've seen it take all day and then some, LOL
was that a beer break after every bolt you take out? :D mine only took 6 hours with reading the directions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
joe_mauma said:
The best tip is to not do it. Body lifts suck and you'll regret it one day.
thnx, that doesn't help me much.......... :mad: i said, "anyways, any tips/things i should know for the install?"

must be nice to be made of money...... :rolleyes: , it feels real nice knowing now there's at least 1 person that's gonna turn there nose up at my truck because it has a 2" body lift, thnx........ sure does make the struggle to get the truck this far that much 'sweeter' :( :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top