TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok last thursday i ran into a few ttora guys on their way to azrocks at cabella's in pheonix (seamed like good guys). i got talking about arb bumpers and basicly this is what i got out of the conversation from 1 guy. what i was told is that the winching issue was ...well an issue. is it true the arbs arn't stout enough to handle the tacoma load under mid stress situations? he was telling me they get tweaked forward about an inch and stay that way from being under forward stress. this is because arb doesn't make the mounting brackets strong enough so they can still maintain the factory "crumple zone"? is this BS or what? i know the crumple zone has been BEAT to DEATH :eek: ! i don't want to even go down that road. so is it the arb's for 04's and prior? or are the 05's and up having this issue? or is this not even an issue????:confused:

C

·
0 Posts
I think it is bullshit.

Here is what an 05 ARB looks like when being installed.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=73062

I have had a lot of weight on the ARB, and it did not deflect. The bumper was repeatedly driven into the embankment, with the weight of the truck on it, and the bumper did not move.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
when you say "deflect" do you mean it didn't bend forward?
or you like to run into shit and it's been fine:D :D . because if someone pisses me off enough in traffic i may play tag :xsmash:. hehe. probably not but i've thought about it:D

C

·
0 Posts
when you say "deflect" do you mean it didn't bend forward?
or you like to run into shit and it's been fine:D :D . because if someone pisses me off enough in traffic i may play tag :xsmash:. hehe. probably not but i've thought about it:D
Well, it did not bend backward into the truck when I was playing bulldozer with it. :flipoff4:

To answer your original question, no, I dont have a winch in it yet and have not used it to winch. I have been winched out, but it was from the stock front recovery point, and from a rear hook I attached to the frame, never from the ARB bumper.

But of all my friends that do have ARB 04- bumpers that have winched I have not heard of any trouble with the crush cans being too weak to take winching. 05+ ARB bumpers do not have the crush cans.

Traffic? I commute 90 miles round trip to work. You bet I have thought about bumping someone that has cut me off. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
You probably read some of the doubts I expressed in an earlier thread....you can disregard them. My negative comments were based on a 10 or less mph collision with a fencepost that took out the R/F 3/4 of my truck and seriously bent the framehorns.

Although the ARB incorporates its own crush system, it's much beefier and stronger than the stock POS system. In Barn's install thread you'll note that the frame is backed up with thicker plate and upgraded/additional fasteners.

I'm now of an altogether different opinion....the ARB system is a big plus for the '05+ front end and the frame should hold up just fine for general off roading/winch use. I stand corrected and apologize.

As for bump-drafting someone....after everything is said and all the paperwork is done, the front end of your truck will come out of it in better shape than you most likely will.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have only heard of one problem with the ARB bumper and that was Cell4soul's that looked like it was tweaked, but that was due to the installer failing to put in the two extra locator bolts on each side.
I added a couple of shackle mounts to the front of my ARB and I have used them a couple of times to pull people out. It worked with out issue.
I would much rather get in an accident with my ARB than to get hit with the rubbermaid POS toyota chose to call a 'bumper'.
The bumper is rated up to 9500lbs. ARB is one manufacturer whose ratings I would trust. It is beefy and mounted at several more locations than some other manufacturer's products....

·
Registered
639 Posts
ok last thursday i ran into a few ttora guys on their way to azrocks at cabella's in pheonix (seamed like good guys). i got talking about arb bumpers and basicly this is what i got out of the conversation from 1 guy. what i was told is that the winching issue was ...well an issue. is it true the arbs arn't stout enough to handle the tacoma load under mid stress situations? he was telling me they get tweaked forward about an inch and stay that way from being under forward stress. this is because arb doesn't make the mounting brackets strong enough so they can still maintain the factory "crumple zone"? is this BS or what? i know the crumple zone has been BEAT to DEATH :eek: ! i don't want to even go down that road. so is it the arb's for 04's and prior? or are the 05's and up having this issue? or is this not even an issue????:confused:
I call bullshit! I've winched my truck and at least four others out of situations without even the slightest problem.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
ARB's for the previous generation Tacos are notorious for pulling out the frame caps with heavy winching. The issue is resolved with some reinforcing. I'm not sure what the mounts look like on the 05+ Tacos though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
10+ pulls on mine so far plus some very stubborn stumps in my yard. So far the bumper is right where I put it and the frame looks just fine.

I agree with others...BS

·
Registered
112 Posts
ive used my winch to pull myself out several times plus a Z-71 with 35's that was buried to the hubs. nobody could believe that my little truck pulled out that Z. people just dont appreciate the tacos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts