TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive pretty much read every single forum i possibly could and i am so stuck. I was supposed to have a regear done last week, but i cannot decide weather 4.56 or 4.88. I have a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5 with 4.10 now and i like to go up north highway driving 3 hours on weekends but mainly city during the week. I really need help deciding which one. is 4.56 any better mpg on the highway compared to 4.88. sorry i know this has been somewhat covered before. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
4.88 are goind to be a little high for 35s and an automatic tranny, so you may want to think about goin a little lower than that. from what i understand with an automatic you 4.88 are just a little low for 33", so if you wanted to consider 5.29s i dont think that would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'd put on 5.29s for sure with 35's and auto tranny.

·
Registered
233 Posts
jsack25 said:
Ive pretty much read every single forum i possibly could and i am so stuck. I was supposed to have a regear done last week, but i cannot decide weather 4.56 or 4.88. I have a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5 with 4.10 now and i like to go up north highway driving 3 hours on weekends but mainly city during the week. I really need help deciding which one. is 4.56 any better mpg on the highway compared to 4.88. sorry i know this has been somewhat covered before. Thanks in advance.

the 4.88's... you have to take into acount the weight from the lift, tires, body pertection, etc. Plus the added stance with the wind drag.. with 4.88's on 35's i am at 3000rpm at 75mph..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
bigblacktoy03 said:
... with 4.88's on 35's i am at 3000rpm at 75mph..
Must be a 5 speed huh?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Alright - I'm gonna piggyback on this thread...

+ 2000 Tacoma ExCab
+ Supercharged 3.4L
+ Automatic Transmission
+ 32 x 11.50 Tires
+ Stock 4.10 Gearing

I'm in the process of converting my PreRunner to 4WD. My front diff has 4.88's in it. Should I regear the front to 4.10, or regear my rear to 4.88?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:

+ 2000 Tacoma ExCab
+ Supercharged 3.4L
+ Automatic Transmission
+ 32 x 11.50 Tires
+ Stock 4.10 Gearing

I'm in the process of converting my PreRunner to 4WD. My front diff has 4.88's in it. Should I regear the front to 4.10, or regear my rear to 4.88?
You can remove your rear driveshaft and try the 4.88s in front wheel drive to see how you like it.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
LOL - thanks a lot!

I was hoping for a little more technical of an answer to the question, though.

*NOTE* My front Diff, and Transfer Case have not been installed yet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
mt_goat said:
Must be a 5 speed huh?

yeah it is a 5 speed what are auto guys running with 4.88's on 35's at 75mph?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
might as well regear the rear to 4.88 and go up to 33's. i know you say you don't want to go to bigger tires, but you will someday, trust me. and regearing the front to stock after it had 4.88 sounds like a step backwards to me!

·
Registered
233 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
LOL - thanks a lot!

I was hoping for a little more technical of an answer to the question, though.

*NOTE* My front Diff, and Transfer Case have not been installed yet.

so you have the charger with mods and 32's right? If you are never going to go to a larger tire size then i would say the 4.10's or 4.56's. If you think you will go to 33's then the 4.56's or 4.88's will be worth your while.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
bigblacktoy03 said:
yeah it is a 5 speed what are auto guys running with 4.88's on 35's at 75mph?
Lower rpms. The auto OD (4th gear) is higher than 5th gear on the manual.

Any gearing question should start with what tranny the user has.

This is the best calculator I've seen:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Here is a nice interactive calculator to help with deciding on gear ratios:

http://www.tyres1.com/tech_calcs.html#tire_size

TIRE SIZE CHANGE CALCULATOR
This calc can be used to find a new gear ratio.

Bigger tires are more functional, look better, and rob you of power. One way to compensate for this is to swap out your differential gears. The left side of the calculator requires all three entries. The right side will show the results. The New Ratio box will show the ideal gear ratio (getting as close to stock as possible). If you want a bit more power, for rock crawling, go with something closer to the Lo Ratio number. Also, the Actual Ratio box shows your adjusted gear ratio if you choose to keep your original gears.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:

+ 2000 Tacoma ExCab
+ Supercharged 3.4L
+ Automatic Transmission
+ 32 x 11.50 Tires
+ Stock 4.10 Gearing

Jamie - Right now I'm running 33s with 4.10s and supercharged and it seems just fine. With the s/c, the power loss seems minimal. Personally I think 4.88s is way overdoing it for 32s and s/c'd.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
Should I regear the front to 4.10, or regear my rear to 4.88?

4.88's would be really low for 32's. If you're positive that you'll never go larger than 32's, I'd say regear the front diff to 4.10's..... Otherwise, your gas mileage is going to suffer on the HWY, greatly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
wslytoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing