TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know this is a Toy forum, but I did some work on the Saab and thought I'd share, especially since there is a cheap trick involved :)

So, changed the oil/filter and while waiting for it to drain decided to fab some new lenses for the driving lights. Both were blown out sometime in the last year and still work, but look like crap. So, removed them from the faring:

Needed to clean out the remaining glass and gasket

Used some plexi I have been hauling around for about a decade and made a simple template

Cut and sanded. Rough, but WTF, eh?

I decided to bolt them rather than seal them with a new gasket since they will likely have to be replaced again, so tapped holes

And mounted

All better and beck in place.

The aux signal lights were so corroded I had to remove them with chisel and pliers, so they don't work anymore

I also bought Katherine a shiny new Saab Scania hood emblem since hers was faded and also replaced one of the hub ornaments that a Big-O employee took home one day a few years ago

While I was at it I replaced the radio antenna that was ripped off about 2 months ago by some crackhead and removed the CD changer that is on the fritz so I can repair/replace it.

So what's the cheap trick??? The driving light assemblies cost $210 each from a discount supplier!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Very nice, its the little/easy things that can save big bucks in the end. $210 each is crazy, but then again its a Saab. Good work Eric

·
Registered
724 Posts
that's what i did with my rear 1/4 glass, and a light coat of black paint on the inside makes it look tinted just like the original.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice, its the little/easy things that can save big bucks in the end. $210 each is crazy, but then again its a Saab. Good work Eric
Thx! The stupid power antenna also runs around $200, so for an afternoon in the nice weather I managed to save $600 :) If only I could convert that into fuel $$ :confused:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yup, I still have the "template" for future use and still have plenty of plexi :)
Apparently I head back out to SF in mid September for Nic's baby shower ;)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently I head back out to SF in mid September for Nic's baby shower ;)
Get me her year, model and VIN and I'll check the part #s. If she can send them to me, I can fab them and send them back with you. It's two socket screws, one bolt and two electrical connectors to get them off, but all are accessible without removing any of the faring.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
1996 SAAB 600 (let me work on the VIN) Man you rock!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1996 SAAB 600 (let me work on the VIN) Man you rock!
I'm gonna guess it's actually a 900 :D From what I've found so far they are very different critters:

1996 900 Fog Light

1999 9-3 Fog Light

It looks like the bezel sticks out a lot farther on hers, but don't know if it matters that much. It looks like I might only have to cut back the reflector a bit to put a new flat bezel on it, but I think it would be recessed a bit behind the faring.

I'm happy to give it a shot :)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saab doesn't distinguish between driving and fog lights if that's what you're thinking.

And yeah, I remember in Kat's 1989 900 the headlights left a lot to be desired, even if they were aimed properly. I guess they don't drive much at night in Sweden, just in the snow!

I'm pretty sure Kat's forgotten about it by now... :(

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it's not a Saab...

On to another wheeled project. Finally am tired of hoofing it 30 minutes to campus and the light rail is, well... lazy! So I pulled out the 12-year old pedal-pusher and gave it some love today :) I thought I was going to have to replace tires, tubes, rims and brakes, cables and shifters, but after cleaning, lubing and a few tweaks to the brakes and derailleurs, it's kinda like a Yota... ready to roll!

Eww... neglect...

Mostly better...

The shift pods are still a little iffy, so they might need replacement, but we'll see how he does after a few trips. Also thinking about striping it down a bit and turning it into more of a street bike, but right now money gravitates to the FJ more readily than the MB :D

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
The shift pods are still a little iffy, so they might need replacement, but we'll see how he does after a few trips. Also thinking about striping it down a bit and turning it into more of a street bike, but right now money gravitates to the FJ more readily than the MB :D
Probably cable stretch or rust, plus cables are a lot cheaper than shifters!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably cable stretch or rust, plus cables are a lot cheaper than shifters!
The cables are good (and stretched!) and I've had trouble with the shifters before. They get gummed up so they won't catch the internal levers properly and then get worn. Too fancy for me, I prefer the good old clickers! At any rate they only screw me when I want to upshift on the front sprocket, not down shift, so I'll just have to pedal really fast if they fail :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts