TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided on a new truck - a 1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser!

Current Specs:
87 FJ60. Rustless, dentless. :D
92 TBI injected 350 mated to a 700R4 automatic using an AA adapter to the stock "splitcase" transfer case.
ARB Bumper that will hold my 8274
2-3" lift. Unsure of the brand, but it has OME shocks on it.
33x12.50x15 Hankook Dynapro MT's
"Mystery" aluminum wheels. I need to figure out who makes them.
Safari Snorkel that still needs hooking up to the motor.
Sliders that somebody made for it.
Kenwood iPod/iPhone compatible radio.
Flowmaster muffler.
No lockers yet.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hell yea dude.. I'll have to swing by and see it soon!

Other than maintenance, let's here your plans for it.
Start with a rear locker and some better front seats. Will probably change out the awesome B&M Sport Shift for a more awesome black Lokar and use the stock 4 speed shift boot to cover it. It'll look more stock that way, and the Lokar is a better shifter.

Sweet!

Love those rims. Keep 'em! Look like the same as these - http://www.arkansascrawlers.com/main/forum/showthread.php?t=16612

I think I saw "Delta" on the back of the rim in the pics.

Yeah, what are the plans for the 60, Josh? More expedition-type rig than the last one?
Yep, they are the same rims, and I posted about them in his FS thread here on our board, in a sneaky way. :D I'm keeping them for now.

More light trails, forest roads, expo camping rig for now. It'll still see most all of the 3's at the park, and maybe a 4 here and there. Eventually I'll probably SOA it and run 37's, but that's years from now.

Very nice. Where did it come from?
It found me. :D I was chatting with Bryant at Rock City 4x4 about some of his FJ40 projects, and mentioned that I was looking at 60's too. He said that a customer of his was looking to sell his 60 (his teenage daughter was driving it back and forth to school and the gas was eating him alive), and here we are. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good looking rig/platform. Look forward to the yotajosh imagination coming to surface on this truck. I'm really impressed with that snorkel thingies

Really, good looking rig

PS. You gotta update ur signature

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking rig/platform. Look forward to the yotajosh imagination coming to surface on this truck. I'm really impressed with that snorkel thingies

Really, good looking rig

PS. You gotta update ur signature
Thanks! Sig updated.

Nice Josh! Glad you got something so quick!
Yeah, selling and finding a truck within a month is far faster that I would have imagined.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Great looking Rig!!! wanna buy an 80 and start transferring axles and other goodies over? j/k...

I've always liked the 60's, and with the TBI 350/700r4 I think you found one heck of a rig!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice 60 Josh! Got any more pics? (Too lazy to come down the street). Congratulations!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great looking Rig!!! wanna buy an 80 and start transferring axles and other goodies over? j/k...
in my opinion, fj60/40 stuff is quite a bit stouter than 80's

congrats Josh ! your gonna love a 60, i wanna keep tabs on that 350. mine isnt really far from a rebuild/v-8 upgrade.. great find !!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sweet...pickup Josh.

Seats.....Procar Scat by far the best mod to my truck. They will bolt up to factory sliders. This is just an example... Between Jegs...and Summit they will price match each other so play ball with them. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1100-51L/

Todd in southaven got another style of Procars for his 40 that where cheaper and where nice also.

I love my Aussie in the rear...with the auto you will never know it is there.

Make sure and post in the Bluff City forum if you are looking for some parts between myslef...cam...and mark we have a metric shit ton of OEM parts. Also I have a full set of add a leafs (nib) at bossmans if you need/want them..

CONGRADS...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet...pickup Josh.

Seats.....Procar Scat by far the best mod to my truck. They will bolt up to factory sliders. This is just an example... Between Jegs...and Summit they will price match each other so play ball with them. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1100-51L/

Todd in southaven got another style of Procars for his 40 that where cheaper and where nice also.

I love my Aussie in the rear...with the auto you will never know it is there.

Make sure and post in the Bluff City forum if you are looking for some parts between myslef...cam...and mark we have a metric shit ton of OEM parts. Also I have a full set of add a leafs (nib) at bossmans if you need/want them..

CONGRADS...
Thanks! And congrats on your new Tyre Selling gig.

The seat situation is solved for now. I removed the cheap seat covers (that had faded purple by the way), and the seats aren't really in bad shape. The driver side has the usual worn foam, and a small tear, but all in all they are just fine for me. :) The driver side had some extra foam added on top of the factory seat fabric, and they used contact cement or something to hold it in place. Thank goodness for Goo Gone.

As for the locker, I'm going to try a Spartan Locker that I'm getting from a vendor on Pirate. I haven't heard any negatives about them, and coming with a new cross pin is a win in my book.

And I know I've been lacking on the updates and pictures. :( No excuse there other than I don't like to update or post pictures until I've got a project finished. With that said, here's a quick update...

-The transfer case was stuck in Low when I bought it. I'm not sure how long the PO drove it this way, but with the .70 overdrive in the transmission, you can actually do about 40 mph with the engine screaming along at 2200 rpm or so. :eek: This was an easy fix due to the way H-N-L works in a split case.

-To fix the low range issue, I pulled the case apart (didn't have to necessarily) because it was leaking from anywhere it could. When I drained it, it was a nice mix of gear oil and ATF. :( The input shaft seal for the transfer case was toast. Currently this damn seal is what's keeping me from putting the tcase back together. Neither local Toyota dealer has it, and it'll be 6 days from right now before it gets to Landers. I ordered it last Saturday. No local parts store can get it any sooner either.

More info on the seal:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/553563-transfer-case-input-seal-comparison.html
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/213919-transfer-case-seals-revealed.html

I think I'm going to call Georg on IH8Mud and try to get one.

-While I had the tcase apart, I took the opportunity to reseal up the AA transmission to tcase adapter since it was leaking a bit too. Turns out there is a hole drilled and threaded in the top of the adapter so you can put in a speed sensor that will read off the output shaft of the 700R4. There was no sensor, or plug in this hole, meaning ATF was just coming out as it pleased, and dirt was going in as it pleased. Luckily this is in the tail housing area of the transmission so nothing was harmed. I don't need a sensor, so I plugged the hole.

-Hooked up the reverse light switch in the B&M shifter to the Toyota harness. Reverse lights still don't work, even when I just short the terminals at the original transmission connector. Still looking into this one.

-The motor was leaking oil as well. It appeared to be a rear main seal, but when I pulled the cover off, the block and flexplate were dry. Looking around, I found the stock Toyota oil sending unit screwed into a 3 way pluming adapter, and that was screwed into the block into an oil galley right above the oil filter. All of this was loose, but I couldn't tighten it because of the design of the block. So I moved it all up to the top of the motor where the aftermarket oil gauge is connected, and still retained the Toyota sending unit for the dash. Hopefully that'll cure the oil leak. :D

-And finally, the motor smokes a bit on startup, or when you snap the throttle. Simple fix - valve stem seals. Haven't put them in yet, but I'm hopeful that does the trick.

Soon it should be leak free, smoke free, and ready to hit the trail. :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am sure ya have done the very easy 2 Low conversion havent ya? I have a parts 60 with some stuff left on it, I bought for the motor. if ya need something, holler. The axles and steering box are gone and its been hit in the drivers side front.. I had a spartan in the front D60 of my mini and really liked it. I am keepin my 60 pretty mild and have a Auburn in the rear, have been really happy with it, but it isnt a crawler by any means.. Dave

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sure ya have done the very easy 2 Low conversion havent ya? I have a parts 60 with some stuff left on it, I bought for the motor. if ya need something, holler. The axles and steering box are gone and its been hit in the drivers side front.. I had a spartan in the front D60 of my mini and really liked it. I am keepin my 60 pretty mild and have a Auburn in the rear, have been really happy with it, but it isnt a crawler by any means.. Dave
When the motor conversion was done, they didn't bother putting the shifter gate on, so I can do 2 low no problem.

Does your parts truck have brown or gray interior? I'm also looking for a windshield washer bottle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
brown.. i bet yours is grey isnt it ? i will look for the bottle.. is it the one for the headlights or the actuall windshield..the bottle on the pass side up by the firewall??

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brown.. i bet yours is grey isnt it ? i will look for the bottle.. is it the one for the headlights or the actuall windshield..the bottle on the pass side up by the firewall??
I'm brown!

The bottle on the passenger side by the firewall under the hood hinge.

·
Registered
358 Posts
got it !!! but it needs a lid.. i bet about any yota lid would fit it. i will bring it this weekend , what interior do ya need ??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
slacker24/7
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing