TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i've just started doing some of my own work on my truck. i just bought a house and now the garage needs some tools. i've relied on using my dad's tools for long enough. unfortunately, i don't have a big budget to spend so buying a bunch of tools at once isn't feasible. i was just wondering what i should get first. i have a 14pc combination wrench set and that's it (sad, i know). maybe socket wrenches? a torque wrench seems pretty important, but is like $100.......hmmm, car ramps/jack stands. help me out. which do you guys think is most important. thanks for your help!

rick

·
Registered
464 Posts
just do it in stages to ease the outlay...

to start, i'd suggest getting a decent sized 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive metric socket set (USA-made Sears Craftsman is good if on a tight budget, plus if anything breaks they will replace it free).

wrooster

·
Registered
348 Posts
Personally, I would look at getting something to safely lift your truck off the ground. A solid floor jack and jack stands are a good bet. Personally, I like ramps too because they are quick and safe for things like oil changes. However many models don't seem to like big tires.

·
Registered
348 Posts
p.s... since you are a fellow Cannuck, check out Princess Auto for good deals on tools. Their hand tools aren't Snap-On quality (they sell a variety of quality levels), but the prices are right and they have lots of selection. Other things they sell, like jacks, compressors, hoses, etc are all good quality and good value.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
WindsorTaco said:
hey guys,
i've just started doing some of my own work on my truck. i just bought a house and now the garage needs some tools. i've relied on using my dad's tools for long enough. unfortunately, i don't have a big budget to spend so buying a bunch of tools at once isn't feasible. i was just wondering what i should get first. i have a 14pc combination wrench set and that's it (sad, i know). maybe socket wrenches? a torque wrench seems pretty important, but is like $100.......hmmm, car ramps/jack stands. help me out. which do you guys think is most important. thanks for your help!

rick
First off what's your budget on the hand tools-
If you give me a number on how much you want to spend- I can point you in the right direction as far as possible best bang for the buck Craftsman tool sets.

Depending on how much you have to spend- sometimes its more cost effective to buy one of the sears craftsman mechanic tool sets-
don;t be fooled by the number of pieces- lots of those may be misleading with
screw driver bits & allen wrenches. Sears always has a $150 piece set that will include both SAE & metric.

If those sets are not in your budget- Look for a HArbor freight- their pittsbirgh stuff carries a warranty- The way I look at it - cheap tools are better than no tools.
- HArbor freight also sells torque wrenches for dirt cheap - although I may question their calibration.
- Another alternative would be to check out a local wholsale club like Sam's
and don;t forget Pawn shops

If you are working on your Toyota only- you could simply buy metric tools
- I would start off with
3/8 & 1/2 drive sockets
Combo wrenches
Screw drivers
ball pein hammer
rubber mallet or dead blow

As far as jackstands - I am only comfortable using 6T stands on the truck-
the 2-3 T just doesn't seem to cut it.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
You need a decent socket set to start off with. You can't work on anything, if you can't take anything apart. Followed by good quality floor jack, and jack stands.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
this is a joke, right? ;)

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts
"Your most important Tool"

Between my legs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grillmasterp said:
First off what's your budget on the hand tools-
If you give me a number on how much you want to spend- I can point you in the right direction as far as possible best bang for the buck Craftsman tool sets.
well, i;m only really looking to spend some leftover from the paycheque. every so often. maybe a couple hundred (max) per month. looks like i'll be getting a socket set. i'll look into some of the other budget companies, but craftsman tools seem likely. has anyone bought used tools off ebay?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Atwinda is my favorite Tool

Get a decent 220v Air compressor, and spend the extra money to have your garage wired for 220v.

Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

Buy your tools in person so you know where to go if and when they break

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
WindsorTaco said:
well, i;m only really looking to spend some leftover from the paycheque. every so often. maybe a couple hundred (max) per month. looks like i'll be getting a socket set. i'll look into some of the other budget companies, but craftsman tools seem likely. has anyone bought used tools off ebay?

Watchout for some of the craftsman tools on Ebay- especially if the seller is in the North- I believe the Canadian Craftsman tools are made in China/Taiwan- and may not be of the same quality as some of the US counterparts - Even though they probably still can be warrantied- just make sure you are fully aware of what you are getting.

When you look at the tools sets- don't just go buy tool count- SOme sets have lots of filler items like screwdriver bits & hex keys- Take a look at the Craftsman 6 pt tool sets also.

You will almost always be able to find a good large tool set $200 pc for around $150-170 which should be a great foundation.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Craftsman sells tool kits. I have a 151 piece(I think) mechanicstool set, and I love it. It was somewhere around $100 bucks. The best part, if I manage to break anything, I get it replaced for free. So far, I haven't broken anything. With all of my other crappy tool kits that I have had I have broken stuff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
WindsorTaco said:
hey guys,

rick
here's a link to craftsman tools where you can put in the price you want to spend,and it will show you what set(s) they have in that price range.Tools

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your most important tool is the one you need next.
Good advice given here, so I will not repeat it. I did as you want to, try to buy a new one every payday. Sometimes even more often. If I needed repairs, I could pay the shop or buy the tool I needed to fix it (the next tool I need)

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
FlipSideUp said:
"Your most important Tool"

Between my legs.
Would that be your most important or your favorite? lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So far the best thing I ever bought was either a 36pc set from Craftsman or my dewalt 14.4v Cordless. I use my dewalt for most anything. I bought it off ebay barley used about 4 yrs ago and its still as strong as ever. Use it to remove screws to small hex screws. But as far as the socket set goes.... this one i bought was up to handle most any task I threw at it. Only thing its missing that i would like are deep metric sockets. My only gripe is the 1/4" ratchet seems a bit weak. I have gone through 3 of them so far. But hey... its just a matter of bringing it to sears and swapping it with a new one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
if you have any fle markets around where people just get rid of junk go to the tools section, find all the craftsman tools you can that are broke, buy them for like 35 cents, take them to sears and you could possibly have a decent wratchet,wrench set for under 30 bucks or so. however they dont like to cover torqe wrenches for some reason, but if you bitch enough they will. other wise the above info is a good start, along with BFH, it seems to be one of my favorites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Atwinda is my favorite Tool

Get a decent 220v Air compressor, and spend the extra money to have your garage wired for 220v.

Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

Buy your tools in person so you know where to go if and when they break
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the benefit of a 220v air compressor. Does it provide more power? I don't speak electrical.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts