TTORA Forum banner

2002 Double Cab 5-Speed/4x4 Conversion

311K views 863 replies 63 participants last post by  Truckdude80 
#1 · (Edited)
Had to start this thread some time might as well start now. Missed out on lots of great deals due to money issues or else I would have been done. Here is the break down.

Truck:
Toyota Tacoma
Double Cab
V6 4 speed Auto
Prerunner

Mods:
Donahoe UCA, Donahoe 2.5 Coilover, Bilstein 5125, Deaver 8 Pack, Snug Top Shell, Yakima Roof Rack, Coleman Basket, Hella 500, Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Cobra 19Ultra III CB

Current Parts:
5 speed Manual Transmission - $250 Birthday Gift
J-Shifting T-Case - $75
Front Drive Shaft - $50 Shipped
Rear Front Portion Drive Shaft - $75 Shipped
T-Case VSS - $75 Shipped
J-Shifter Lever -$39 Shipped
J-Shifter Knob - $10 Shipped
5 Speed Shift Knob - $25 Shipped
Clutch Pedal Assembly - $25 Shipped
Front Diff 4.30 - $264 Shipped
Non Add Diff Output Tube - $114.50 Shipped
Master Cylinder - $67.78 Shipped
Slave Cylinder - $37.78 Shipped
Marlin Twin Stick - $199 (Plus Shipping 10.51) Bought With Trans Mount
Marlin HD Transmission Mount 85.00 (Plus Tax 25.49)
2002 Toyota Tacoma ECU 89666-04010 - $125 Shipped
URD 5vz Short Shifter On Sale - $106.41 Shipped
Manual Hubs Spindles - Package Deal $500
Manual Hubs - Package Deal $500
Manual Cvs - Package Deal $500
4.10 Front Diff - Package Deal $500
Shift Boot And Plate - $39 Shipped
2004 MT V6 Flywheel - $300
Diff Drop Bolts - $31 Shipped
Clutch Hydro Lines and Brackets and Nuts/Bolts. $63.32 Shipped
Current Total Cost So Far 2592.79

After Selling some of the things I don't need $2347.88

Searching For Parts
Interior Plastics

I'll Update as I go.

Helpful Links:
Auto to Manual Swap Junglecode Write Up

Drive Shaft Measurements

Double Cab to Manual Swap, Advice and Pointers

Other Members Conversion Threads

HillBilly_Young01 Auto DC to 4x4
Tacoma4Life - Auto DC to Manual 4x4 (5 speed Manual Swap)
Snorkie Auto DC to 4x4 (Output Shaft Swap)
SAR_Squid79 Auto Ext to 4x4 (Using Inchworm)
Interex Auto Ext to 4x4 (Output Shaft Swap)
iceman601 Auto 4-runner to 4x4 (Using Tacoma Trans/T-case)

FAQ

Would a 4x4 Single Cab front portion of the rear drive shaft work for my Double Cab or Extra Cab? No Single Cabs drive shaft is shorter then a Double Cab or Extra Cab. Source

Can I use parts from a 4-Runner? For a Tacoma you can use 4-runner parts from a 3rd Gen 1996–2002. Source

If I do a Auto to Manual swap will I throw a CEL? Yes unless you swap out the ECU for a 5 Speed 4x4 Manual. Source

Can I reuse my Pre-runner Transmission for the swap? You have 2 options you can choose from. One is to swap out the 2wd output shaft for a 4x4 output shaft. Two run the Inchworm Prerunner Adapter Plate with a Gear Driven T-case or a Lefty Adapter with a Lefty T-Case. (NO Stock T-Case w/ Adapter)
Sources: Output Swap Prerunner Adapter Plate

Can I use my Prerunner Vehicle Speed Sensor? No, They are different. Source

How do I wire the ADD system with out the computer?/I]
Answered by Here

Can I use my Prerunner Rear Drive shaft? Yes but the front portion after the Center Carrier Bearing must be shortened 12" Inches. Source

If I use Manual Hubs will I keep my ABS? Only way to keep ABS on manual hubs is to press the Manual hubs into your ABS spindles. Source

Will a T-Case from a Manual transmission bolt to an Automatic transmission? According to ShowStop "input shafts are different lengths between auto and manual" Source 1 Source 2 *Update According to js_iron "They are the exact same output shaft length and they both will bolt right up to the A340F" Source

Can I use a 2.7 T-Case for my 3.4 Transmission.
I believe 2.7 T-cases are the same, manual/AT. The difference in shaft length is in the tranny, not the tcase.
The v6 tcase is 23 spline, the 4cyl should be 26 spline.

Can I use ADD CV's with my Manual Hubs? No, the ends are different.Source

How do I wire up my clutch cancel button? "If you want the clutch start safety feature with over ride switch, best to cut it out of the wrecked truck harness and piggy back onto your DC harness." - mattm94 Source Post #18

See less See more
#3 ·
Subscribed!

Thanks for detailing your work, as I plan in the future switching my auto '02 DC to a manual transmission with a J-Shifter. My only real questions arise with getting the electronics working. What I understand is it is important to try and get the replacement transmission from the same year, as many say the harnesses change from year to year. Good luck and I'll be checking up on your progress!

#4 ·
Thanks for detailing your work, as I plan in the future switching my auto '02 DC to a manual transmission with a J-Shifter. My only real questions arise with getting the electronics working. What I understand is it is important to try and get the replacement transmission from the same year, as many say the harnesses change from year to year. Good luck and I'll be checking up on your progress!
Correct, try to get the same year. But there is a thread on how to do a 5 speed swap. Which is what I am following combined with the 4x4 swaps every ones been doing. I am going with Matts Thread for the 4x4 swap info and snorkies. Going to head to the junk yards over winter break. Most likly going to find everything I need then. I updated the first post with the link for the auto to manual swap.

#5 ·
Jomentum just might have a VSS for me! All the clutch items seem very cheap online or on ebay so I'm not to worried about that stuff. Anyone have exp with after market Clutches? or just go with OEM Clutch. Just have to run down to the junk yard to find a clutch pedal assembly. Then I needed the shifters and the rear driveshaft. Damn Finals week. :mad: Also updated the first post with FAQ that where hard for me to research. Let me know if you have a question I have everything book marked.

#8 ·
question:

are the front portion rear d-shaft lengths different from x-cab autos and manuals???

i ask 'cause i have just done a 4x4 swap from prerunner. i bought a d-shaft BUT, LOW AND BEHOLD.......it didn't fit. it was from an x-cab taco (i didn't see the trans because both t-case and trans were pulled). well, long story, got one from another auto and it worked.

i believe the one that didn't fit was about two or so inches shorter.

are the autos and manuals trans d-shafts different in length?

if so, i've got a front portion rear d-shaft if you need it.

#10 ·
Interesting! I'll look into that. How much for it shipped to 92804

Just to add to that. Single cab's have single piece rear drive shaft, there is NO carrier bearing and no front and rear piece.

Just saying. ;;

I thought you had more part's then that. Hurry up man ! :p
Thanks for adding scuba! I had parts lined up (Manual hubs, difs, cvs, front drive shaft.) but i found they wont work for my truck so starting over. I just wanted to start the thread to make sure I am doing things right. And to have everything documented.

#9 ·
Would a 4x4 Single Cab front portion of the rear drive shaft work for my Double Cab or Extra Cab? No Single Cabs drive shaft is shorter then a Double Cab or Extra Cab. Source

Just to add to that. Single cab's have single piece rear drive shaft, there is NO carrier bearing and no front and rear piece.

Just saying. ;;

I thought you had more part's then that. Hurry up man ! :p

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you Joe! Very nice packaging! My VSS came today. The teeth count is 33 i think Tacoma's are 32 will 33 teeth make a big difference? I know you can swap a gear out, but were do I buy the gear? Answer Here

Thats what Wyatt did here

I was hoping i found a 4.30 front diff for sure but looks like its to good to be true. I wanted to do everything all at once 5 speed and 4x4 but looks like ill just focus on my 5 speed swap now. Trail looks to have OEM clutch parts
http://www.trail-gear.com/clutch.html looks like its fairly cheap just have to go to a junk hard and find a clutch pedal now.

#17 ·
You can find much better prices for clutches on ebay, even with free shipping. Check out the seller 'gripforce'. They also sell AISIN and/or SECO clutches...

#23 ·
As far as the VSS goes...do you need to mess with it if you're just swapping the transmissions? I recall reading something about the 5 speeds requiring a different VSS to read your speed correctly...but the details are kind of spotty.

EDIT: Found it in my own thread regarding the multimode 4Runner xfercases that have AWD. Seems to be only a 4runner issue? Post #11.

Looks like i'm SOL on this swap, V6 4runners use ABS to sense speed instead of a VSS :(.

#24 ·
On 4x4 models, the VSS is mounted in the transfer case. In pre-runners (2x4's), there is no transfer case, so it's in the transmission. The transfer case mounted VSS and tranny mounted VSS are NOT interchangeable.

Also watch out for the older models that use a mechanical VSS to run the speedometer (via a cable) vs the newer electronic type VSS. For 4x4 Tacoma's, all electronic type VSS (1998-2004) are interchangeable regardless of transmission type.

Lastly, lets say you were putting a transfer case from an older Tacoma (ie 1996) onto a newer (ie 2003) Tacoma, you CAN put an electronic VSS in place of a mechanical type. In other words, the opening and internal drive gears are the same in all (1995.5-2004) Tacoma transfer cases. There are however other differences in the transfer cases regarding engine and manual vs automatic...

#25 ·
Thats true.. but for Tacoma's.. He has a AWD 4runner. Hes going to need to do a ECU swap and maybe even then the AWD may not work because he will have to swap his AWD ECU for a 5 Speed ECU. This is because he lives in CA and needs to clear all codes.. An AWD Auto ECU wont have clear codes if he has a 5 speed. So he must swap the 5 speed ECU, only problem is nobody knows if it will through a code with the AWD system. My brother did some reading on a AWD swap for his Tacoma. I'll talk to him about it and see what he found out. The big question is does AWD work as a Stand Alone, meaning with out the AWD Auto ECU.. No codes.. Thats only if your 4-runner has a Electric VSS and not ABS speed sensors.. Then i do not have an answer for you..

Check if there is a Speed Sensor on your T-case or Transmission as well, see if you can run a VSS. I never heard of them getting there speed form ABS.. If your not getting your speed from your abs then another option is to Ditch the AWD system and get a 5 speed with a NON AWD t-case (Tacoma J-shifter) that way your ECU would just be swapped for a 5 speed ECU and you wont have to worry about the AWD ECU System. This will only work if your truck can run a VSS, if it runs a ABS speed sensor then I have know idea what to do..

#26 ·
Updated Pictures of Parts

T-case

Transmission

Front Drive Shaft

Rear Drive Shaft

T-Case, Transmission, Rear Drive Shaft, Front Drive Shaft

Clutch Pedal From a 98

J-Shift lever

Some Shift Knobs

--------------------------------------------------------

Clutch Location
My Brothers 5 Speed Extra Cab (Mind The Grease)

My Double Cab

Cross Members Are in the same Locations for Double Cabs and Extra Cabs

Auto Double Cab PreRunner

5-Speed 4x4

#28 ·
It is funny, I posted some pictures and my views just sky rocketed. Yet you are the first to post a comment. Matt Young and a few others gave the the inspiration to do my build. If a broke college student like Matt can do a 4x4 swap then why can't I. I being another broke college student. Here is a tip. Start collecting parts now if you find a good deal on them. And before you know it you have all the parts you'll need. So far I almost have all the parts needed for my 5 speed swap. I believe if I had only done the 4x4 swap I would be done. Good luck on your build, and feel free to ask questions as I have all the Threads bookmarked.

#29 ·
What are you doing about the clutch cancel switch? Are you going to just splice in the CC harness in place of the PWR ETC harness?

I really wanna do the swap, but its working out these little things thats making me 2nd guess it.

#30 ·
"If you want the clutch start safety feature with over ride switch, best to cut it out of the wrecked truck harness and piggy back onto your DC harness." Source: Here (You also posted in there)

I'll be using Tacoma4Lifes wiring method if I do not get the ECU first.

Are smog laws in NJ as bad as Ca?

#46 ·
Question on CA smog rules and transmissions swaps

Hi,

I'm extremely interested in doing this exact swap, but as another resident of the great state of California, I have a question: have you researched the smog rules for this swap? Your stock transmission type is stored with the other vehicle-specific info in the state's DMV database (and associated with your VIN number), and when you go to have your truck smogged, the system reports back the trans that should be in the vehicle. I believe the fact that it's a 4x4 (or not) is also stored in the same way. It's not a huge problem swapping transmissions in vehicles for which both auto and standard transmissions were offered, but strictly speaking that's not the case here...unless they simply lump the DC in with the other cab choices for Tacomas, and test this as a standard trans trans Tacoma regardless of cab configuration.

Anyway, like I said, I'm very interested in your progress but was wondering if you had done any research into this aspect of the swap?

Great write up, BTW -- eagerly looking forward to the next installment.

Jeff

#47 ·
Hi,

I'm extremely interested in doing this exact swap, but as another resident of the great state of California, I have a question: have you researched the smog rules for this swap? Your stock transmission type is stored with the other vehicle-specific info in the state's DMV database (and associated with your VIN number), and when you go to have your truck smogged, the system reports back the trans that should be in the vehicle. I believe the fact that it's a 4x4 (or not) is also stored in the same way. It's not a huge problem swapping transmissions in vehicles for which both auto and standard transmissions were offered, but strictly speaking that's not the case here...unless they simply lump the DC in with the other cab choices for Tacomas, and test this as a standard trans trans Tacoma regardless of cab configuration.

Anyway, like I said, I'm very interested in your progress but was wondering if you had done any research into this aspect of the swap?

Great write up, BTW -- eagerly looking forward to the next installment.

Jeff
Hmm.. that's very interesting. I haven't thought of that. Let me check right now...

ECU Swap
"Computer Chips
Replacement computer chips must be an original equipment manufacturer part. Aftermarket computer chips must have an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

Front Diff CV's Ect
"Other Internal Engine Parts
Replacement internal engine parts, such as pistons, rods, or the crank, must be designed to factory specifications. Oversize parts can be used as long as they are within factory tolerances for replacement engine parts. Any part not built within factory specifications requires an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

Transmission Swap
"Transmission or Transaxle
Transmissions and transaxles changes alone are not legal. Transmissions and transaxles can only be changed along with their matching engine. The total engine transmission package must conform to the engine change requirements above." (ABOVE Being Other Internal Engine Parts)

"Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change."

For that last one under Replacement Engines I don't know weather or not that means Factory original or the same as what you have now. Example being auto or manual.

Source: www.arb.ca.gov

Still working on getting my clutch and such.. my work owes me 1000 dollars in back pay because they haven't given me my raise everything is on stand still..

#48 ·
Thanks for the reply. That wording on transmission swaps is interesting. It's illegal unless "(t)ransmissions and transaxles (are) changed along with their matching engine." To read that rule word for word, it would appear that a transmission swap would only be legal in conjunction with an engine swap. So, if the 5VZFE + R150 coombo is smog legal in other light duty trucks sold in CA in the same year (which it was), it should be legal in this instance. Which of course, it the assumption, but I hate to assume things when it comes to ARB inspections.

Here's the passage from "Engine Swaps" further down the page:

Engine Changes

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

• The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
  • The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
  • If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
  • All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
  • Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

So...by my reading, this is legal if you get it inspected afterwards by a referee station, which will need to update the state's records to reflect the new transmission for your VIN, and issue you a new door jam sticker. Probably worth a call to the hotline number listed to make sure.

Thoughts? Correct me if you think I'm way off base here in my interpretation. I'm certainly not a lawyer or BAR-certified mechanic, just a fellow enthusiast, but I'd hate to do all the work only to find out the swap was illegal.

BTW, thanks for the link to the ARB site. Good to know :)

Jeff

#51 ·
awesome build! i took off my front bumper too waiting on funds to get a front bumper! sweet tacoma!!!

#54 ·
HAHAH to you my Tacoma's sweet. To me I look at a stock 86 4x4 pickup and think that thing is sick. Maybe when I am done with the swap I'll be happy. Every time i see a stock 4x4 Tacoma I think about how much more it can do vs my Prerunner with Mid Travel suspension.

#52 ·
SafetyDang, one more question:

You are starting with a 2wd Pre-Runner, and as a result you need to swap over not just the tranny but the remaining 4wd driveline. If I start w/a 4x4 with a J-pattern transfer case shifter, is it "simply" a matter of:

1. Swapping in the R150 trans
2. Installing the hydraulic clutch components and the in-cab components (appropriate pedals, shifter console, etc.)
3. Swapping in the M/T ECU
4. Installing the M/T VSS

In other words, in the course of your research, if one starts with a 4x4 that has 4WD and but not AWD, can the other driveline components be reused?

Thanks for whatever light you can shed on this. I'm going to look at a 2002 DC 4x4 this weekend with the aforementioned J-pattern transfer case shifter, so this swap will be in my mind as I evaluate the truck.

Jeff

#53 ·
Your whole front end can be reused. Meaning your Spindle, CV's, Hubs, Front DriveShaft, and Diff. Many people say the a T-case from a Auto will not work for a Manual, visa versa. This is due to the spline length. I've gotten this answer from many veteran members, but no pictures of the difference.

Under my FAQ

Will a T-Case from a Manual transmission bolt to an Automatic transmission? According to ShowStop "input shafts are different lengths between auto and manual" Source 1 Source 2

#55 ·
Hey saftey, been watching your build, or collection of parts and knowledge to this point. I am looking at doing part of this swap, manual tranny into a 1998 4runner 4x4. I am really just gathering info at this point, but I have a question that you may be able to help me with.

Where are you going to put the Clutch master cylinder? Is my brake booster huge or something or are just 4runners this crammed in the engine compartment??

Also, pedal?

Maybe you could snap a pic of the engine bay of your brother's engine bay to help me out, because at this point I am going to stop before I tear into it.

Also, where did you pic up your t-case at? Junk yard? I am having a heck of a time finding a t-case and tranny together.

Thanks man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.